Monday, September 29, 2008

Will I be able to work full time and do the online courses and still have time for my family?

This is a very important question to be asked... See an earlier post "advice or comments about the program". There are several of us in the program that are married and quite a few with children, some have older kids other real young kids and those who have had children during the program. I cannot speak for them, as my wife and I do not have any children yet, but from what I can tell, it is a personal experience that is different for everyone. While everyone so far, at least in my cohort (first cohort) seems to be balancing the two well enough there are times that family does come first and school just has to play a second fiddle. That being said, I can try to see if I can get some feed back from those that do have children.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is a very good question. You will have some time for your kid but you will need to keep a tight work/school schedule. I am married and have three children, ages 3, 5 and 8. It will make things harder but with a young baby and not other children (that I can tell), it might not be nearly as bad as having three children running around and screaming. I encourage you to go through this program as fast as you can. The sooner you do this the more time down the road you will be able to spend with your family. For me it has definitely been hard but well worth it. If I did not have the support of my family this could have been a lot worse. Another thing to keep in mind is that because you will have just graduated from your undergraduate program, you will be one of the younger members of an architectural firm, so the responsibility for you might not be that demanding as it is for someone that has 10 years of experience in a firm.